When we consider how our ancestors lived (thousands of years ago), they consumed healthy meats from healthy animals. Today, most of the meats we eat come from animals raised on farms vs animals grazing about in their natural environment. They are often fed food like grains and corn to fatten them up. Some are also given antibiotics and other drugs to fight off infections they may have in their crowded environment. We want to try to eat foods that come from the healthiest animals. When we eat beef, we want to have grass-fed beef since this is the type of food these animlas would be eating in the wild. We want the beef, chicken, and all the animal meats we eat to be free from antibiotics and other drugs. When animals are eating the food they are genetically designed to eat and moving around to get healthier strong bones, their meat will often be more alkaline than the other types of processed meats. These are the places in Halifax (HRM) that offer some healthy meats:
- Mariposa (Tantallon) http://mariposanaturalmarket.com/
- Gateway Farm and Butcher Shop http://www.halifaxfarmersmarket.com/
- Highland Drive Storehouse (Hydrostone) http://www.highlanddrive.ca/storehouse/
- Nature’s Cove General Store (364 Bedford Highway)
- Blue Barn Farms Hammonds Plains http://www.bluebarn.ca/farm/
- The Healthy Bug (Joseph Howe Drive)
Some of the bigger grocery stores are now starting to offer locally produced healthy meats since there is now a greater demand for these high quality meats.
Look for healthier meats in your area and do your best to support your local farmers!