Today, I hosted my son’s grade 3 class at my home to have them make a few recipes. This was one of those recipes because it is relatively easy to put together and very tasty. I wanted them to have taste explosions from the freshness of all the ingredients mixed together. They enjoyed the smell of the limes and cilantro and some of them had never tasted avocadoes. It was a pleasure to watch them put this together and have most of the class enjoy it. It is the perfect summer salad and goes especially great with a bbq. A friend of mine got this recipe from facebook… https://www.facebook.com/ChangeYourHealthForLife
Southwestern Chopped Salad
- Large head of Romaine 15 oz.
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 5 green onions
- Optional: avocado
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime), more to taste
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Making the dressing: puree all ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Making the salad: Finely chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions.Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.Toss with desired dressing.