There is something interesting about the month of December and the holiday season that makes people feel exempt from the laws of the body. As chiropractors, Jason and I usually see a trend of increased stress that becomes measurable in the bodies of our patients particularly this time of year. The following 3 things are the biggest culprits for causing symptoms in our bodies:
- Sugar- it has become a well-known fact that over the years, we as a society are consuming excess sugar in our diets. Over the holidays people over-indulge in sugary drinks and sweets laying around at gatherings. Sugar can cause inflammation in the body and can weaken your immune system.
- Sleep- lack of this key ingredient in our lifestyles can wreak havoc on the systems of our body. I am always shocked at the percentage of patients who begin care experiencing challenges either getting to sleep or sleeping through the night for one reason or another. Luckily, one of the side benefits of chiropractic care that we see in our patients is better sleep over time.
- Stress- whether it’s financial, the stress from travelling and having to be in so many places, this can be a stressful time of year for many. We typically get away from our daily routines of exercising and taking supplements which can be added stress as well.
These are the 3 main things to keep in mind not only during this time of year but throughout the year. Getting symptoms like a cold or flu is not by chance. This is our body’s way of letting us know we have tripped a switch in our system. Pay attention to which of the above you may have violated and focus on avoiding this throughout the year. You may then find yourself happier, healthier, and more vibrant by following these simple steps:
- Get proper rest.
- Limit sugar intake by crowding it out with healthy vegetables; you’ll have less cravings.
- Drink an abundance of water.
- Take vitamin D. Our recommendations are within the guidelines of the Vitamin D Council (adults- 5,000 IU’s/day and approx. 2,000 IU’s/day for kids).
- Probiotics are essential for proper digestion and affect your immune system. Take 1 capsule/day (billions of bacteria/capsule with multiple strains).
- Take 1 teaspoon of fish oil/day to reduce inflammation and keep your body sufficient of this essential nutrient.
- Last but not least, visit your chiropractor to have your nervous system cared for throughout the year. Your nervous system is protected by your spine and controls the function of every cell, tissue and organ in your body.