We decided to make these after school today and with my niece here it was an easy job for me as I pretty much just set her up and watched her roll them.
The original recipe is from a local holistic health coach (Michelle MacLean http://www.michelle-maclean.com). She posted it in her weekly newspaper write-up.
Makes 24 balls (ours are about an inch wide)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (we used pecans)
- 1/2 cup fresh dates with pits removed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 20-24 whole almonds for stuffing
- shredded unsweetened coconut-for rolling
- Place walnuts (or pecans) in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Add the dates, and pulse until well combined with the nuts. Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Process until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add almonds and pulse a few times until combined but left in coarse fine chunks.
- Add almond butter and mix well.
- Form mixture into golf-size (or smaller) balls with your hands placing one whole almond in the center of each ball.
- Roll each ball in the coconut.
- Place in a sealed container in the freezer until hardened.
- Enjoy them straight from the freezer!